Fitness trackers equipped with heart rate monitors, GPS, and a whole load of other sports-oriented features are making quite a splash in the tech industry. We now have a plethora of products from well-known brands that promise to offer accurate monitoring of our performance in running, cycling, and even playing team sports.
However, swimmers had to wait a bit longer to enjoy the same love from big fitness tech brands. Finally, the producers have caught up with the trend and now are racing to create the best swimming watches that can take a bit of water.
In today’s article, we are going to list and review some of the best products on the market. These devices can help users keep accurate track of their laps, strokes, and overall swim fitness progress, but can also be used for other activities.
Best Digital Watches
1. Timex – Ironman Classic 30 Digital Swimming Watch
The Ironman Classic 30 from Timex is a beautiful timepiece that features a lightweight body and a solid build. Equipped with a 16mm adjustable resin strap (fits an 8-inch wrist circumference), the watch feels comfortable on the skin.
The size of the case is just right for both men and women, and the display is sealed for water resistance (up to 100m or 330 feet). Also, the acrylic lens is durable and doesn’t scratch easily, and the digital display is gray. Furthermore, the watch is designed with an Indiglo backlight that’s not too bright and only lights the numbers, which is easy on the eyes.
In terms of features, you get a 100-hour chronograph with 30-lap memory, 24-hour countdown timer, a customizable alarm (daily, weekday or weekend alarms). The watch can be set in two time zones and has a day, date, and month calendar feature.
- Lightweight and solid build
- Resin strap for added durability
- Easy access to all features
- The display is easy to read
- Available in a wide range of colors and patterns
- The battery is a bit difficult to replace
- The backlight only stays on for a second or two
- The start/split button can be hard to press
Why We Chose ThisWhile it’s not recommended for diving, the Ironman Classic 30 is perfect for water sports, hiking, jogging, and any other activities that may get you wet. Furthermore, the case is large enough to get time information at a glance and the watch is extremely comfortable to wear in any situation.
2. SportCount – LapCounter Digital Swimming Watch
Whether you’re training for a marathon or you just want to make sure you do your full workout, the LapCounter from SportCount is a great choice. It is durable, lightweight, and it fits on your finger which makes it easily accessible at all times.
This is a device with only one purpose in mind – remembering which lap you are on (it can count up to 9,999 laps). This allows you to free your mind, relax, and focus on achieving your goals instead of worrying about counting laps.
The LapCounter is easy to operate with one hand as it only has one button to push. This way, you can’t press anything else by mistake. Moreover, it is designed with an adjustable strap that fits on any finger size, so you can read the screen whenever you want (even in the water).
- Ergonomic design
- Waterproof up to 50 meters
- Easy to read even in the water
- It is easy to operate with one hand
- The build is solid
- It counts accurately
- It’s not too bulky even for people with small hands
- Extremely versatile
- Pressing the button takes some getting used to
- Not as durable as you’d want it to be
Why We Chose ThisThe LapCounter is incredibly simple and easy to use by swimmers who want to forget about counting and focus on rhythm, strokes, and other elements that matter. Also, since it is waterproof for up to 50 meters it’s the ideal device to count your laps while in the pool!
3. Armitron – Sport Women’s 45/7051 Digital Swimming Watch
This is the women’s version with a clear resin strap, but you can also find this sports watch from Armitron in other sizes and colors. Overall, the watch features a solid build, with a fixed silver bezel and buttons that are easy to find and press.
The transparent band engulfs the dial, which doesn’t allow water to get inside the mechanism (it is waterproof at 330 feet) and the backlit LCD display offers information on time, seconds, day, and date. Moreover, the buckle closure lets users adjust the size of the strap and keep the watch secure on the wrist regardless of their activities.
In terms of features, this watch supports lap time, alarms, and a chronograph. It can also show time in two time zones.
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Supports the basic settings of a digital watch
- Dual time feature
- It is waterproof at up to 330 ft
- The display is designed with a backlight
- The clear strap gets yellowish pretty quickly
- It’s easy to get dirt around the bezel
Why We Chose ThisThe Armitron Sport Watch is the ideal device to have when you’re constantly around water. Moreover, its durable build makes it perfect for all kinds of weather (hot or cold) and you can even wear it while taking a shower.
Best Smart Watches
|1||Garmin – Vívoactive 3 Smart Swimming Watch||Buy On Amazon|
|2||Amazfit – Bip by Huami Smart Swimming Watch||Buy On Amazon|
|3||Garmin – Forerunner 235 Smart Swimming Watch||Buy On Amazon|
1. Garmin – Vívoactive 3 Smart Swimming Watch
Garmin Vivoactive 3 is designed for people with an active life. Equipped with a wide range of sports-oriented features, this is the watch that lets you keep accurate track of your fitness level, heart rate (to measure stress levels), and keep up to date with the latest news through notifications.
The watch is durable, waterproof, and elegant due to the chemically strengthened Corning Gorilla Glass lens, stainless steel bezel, and fiber-reinforced polymer case. Also, due to the Garmin Choma display, the watch is easy to read even in direct sunlight. This makes it the perfect workout companion in all kinds of weather.
It comes with 15 sports apps for various activities such as yoga, running, swimming, or more and the built-in GPS lets you accurately record the distance, pace, and location for your outdoor activities. Moreover, you have access to a wide range of free watch faces so you can have fun personalizing the interface to your liking.
Other cool features you may enjoy are contactless payment using the watch, free widgets and apps, and BT connectivity with your smartphone. The battery is designed to last up to seven days, depending on the features you use.
Lastly, the Vivoactive 3 features the Side Swipe interface which improves navigation through all the menus and widgets. This way, you don’t have to adjust your habits to the watch – you just use it the way it’s more convenient.
- Elegant & durable design
- Up to 7 days of battery life
- Waterproof and resistant to all weather conditions
- It features a wide array of apps and widgets
- Side Swipe and contactless payment
- It measures heart rate and provides accurate tracking history
- Heart rate tracking is not available in swim mode
- Side Swipe can be triggered involuntarily by loose clothing
- GPS accuracy is not at 100%
Why We Chose ThisIt is comfortable to wear and has a lot of cool features and widgets that let you keep accurate track of your swimming! Even more, you have access to a nicely-drawn history of your performance, which lets you track progress.
2. Amazfit – Bip by Huami Smart Swimming Watch
This smartwatch was designed to help users achieve their personal best by keeping accurate track of their performance. Since it is durable (IP68 water resistance rating), has a long battery life (up to 30+ days), and features an elegant design, the Amazfit Bip can be with you at all times.
Even more, it is comfortable to wear it and it’s easy to forget you have it on since it only weighs 32g! In addition, the always-on display lets you use it as a regular watch when you’re not running, swimming, or hiking. The watch has four built-in sport modes (outdoor running, treadmill, cycling and walking) and each tracks the metrics that matter for the selected mode.
Lastly, Amazfit Bip features GPS tracking, optical heart rate monitoring, sleep tracking modes, and receives notifications, calls, emails, and SMS from your phone.
- It is elegant and comfortable
- Extremely long battery life
- It can connect with your phone to receive notifications and more
- It packs a series of smart features
- It is waterproof and can be used indoors and outdoors
- Tracks your heart rate and sleep patterns
- It doesn’t allow for multitasking
- The Mi Fit app is below average in terms of features
- Not many settings on the watch (you need to use the phone)
Why We Chose ThisThe Amazfit Bip is a great companion for any swimmer who wants to keep accurate track of their performance but also enjoys the benefits of a smartwatch that’s not bulky. Furthermore, the long battery life and various features make this watch a keeper!
3. Garmin – Forerunner 235 Smart Swimming Watch
The Forerunner 235 from Garmin is an eye-catching smartwatch designed with active people in mind. The device is durable (5 ATM water rating), lightweight, and features a slim design with a user-friendly interface.
It can accurately track the heart rate 24/7 due to the wrist-based sensor and it has a built-in GPS feature that tracks distance, pace, location, and more. All the data tracked with the watch are stored and processed by the phone app, so you can get up to 200 hours of useful information.
The screen is large, with a 1.23” in diameter display that supports 215 x 180 pixels resolution. Also, the battery can give users up to 12 hours in training mode and up to 12 weeks in watch mode.
Lastly, the Forerunner 235 receives and displays notifications and smart updates from your phone.
- A solid and good-looking design
- Comfortable to wear
- Good battery life
- It is waterproof
- It has a wide range of fitness-oriented apps
- Built-in GPS and heart rate monitor
- Widgets slow down the responsiveness of the device
- Heart rate accuracy gets spotty with exercises that involve the wrists
- The display could be brighter